Okay, it isn’t really fall, but Labor Day means the unofficial end of summer. The pool is closing and the kids are headed back to school. This may
not surprise you, but I am not one of those parents who longs for summer vacation all year and is all slappy happy when June arrives and the kids are singing the no more pencils no more books song. There are a few things that make the end of summer an especially lively time of the year for me.
1. It’s almost my birthday! Don’t misunderstand me, I am not actually getting any older, but I still get that lingering excitement this time of year from being 8 and waiting 364 days for my birthday to come around again. Yay! Plus, who doesn’t like cake?
2. The kids go back to school. I know, this was a softball. But, I am a firm believer that kids belong in school. Sorry Earth Parents. I do love spending time with my kids, but 12 weeks of summer vacation is simply excessive. We all have simply too much quality time together. By July, they are at each other’s throats and it gets so freaking hot, humid and buggy they can’t go outside and we wind up going to a different movie every other day and all that popcorn makes my clothes shrink. I might like to try the 3 week vacations 4 times a year like they do in parts of NC. Or boarding school.
3. I am going back to work! I know, it’s about time. With our old van dying and having to buy the Ninja Van, and Sweet Pea’s estimate for orthodonture (Remind me, why the heck am I NOT an orthodontist? I would be RICH! And they are all so stinking happy! What is that about? Oh, Because they are rich. Duh.) it was financially necessary. And also good for my brain which is an added bonus!
4. It is getting cooler. I LOVE fall weather. I detest winter, but fall rocks! As soon as we have one tiny bit of cold weather the mosquitoes will be gone and then I can enjoy being outside more than any other time of year! One of my best memories as a kid is apple picking with my best girlfriend and her family in Washington, Virginia on a beautiful early fall day back in 19-long-ago. If I can ever find the picture of us sitting in the back of the station wagon with a zillion apples, I’ll add it. I swear that fall day is one reason I love apples so much!
5. The kids are back in school. Just wanted to drive that one home. That is 6 fewer hours a day they have to trash the house. They are using their brains and we all appreciate each other more. It is part of the balance of nature. Too much or too little of anything and the balance is thrown off and someone (likely me) gets grumpy.